Yes, you heard well. There are foods responsible to speed up the appearance of wrinkles over the outer skin layer. In Chinese Medicine, the lungs are directly correlated to the outer skin hence any medical condition in your lungs is going to affect your skin. The same applies to the opposite.
With aging, the outer skin layer (epidermis) thins, even though the number of cell layers remains unchanged. The number of pigment-containing cells (melanocytes) decreases. The remaining melanocytes increase in size. Aging skin looks thinner, paler, and clear (translucent).
Dryness in your lungs are the main cause to speed up the aging. What foods cause dryness-dehydration?
– Spicy food: Spicy food makes your blood vessels swell and even break, leading to purple marks on your face.
– Margarine: Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and everything you eat affects it. Most margarines, especially the solid kind, have trans fats. Trans fats block the vessels so the blood flow too.
– Sodas: The more sodas and energy drinks you consume, the quicker the cells in your tissues age.
– Frozen Dinners: too much salt, it causes you to drink more than normal and flood your kidneys.
– Alcohol: you know alcohol dehydrates you.
– Processed meats: The sodium and chemical preservatives cause inflammation that can wear your body down inside and out.
– Fried foods: free radicals, or unstable molecules that damage other molecules in your cells and add years to your skin.
– Baked foods: . Baked goods like cookies and cakes are high in artery-clogging fat reducing blood flow through your skin.
Photo by Glen Hodson